PREREQUISITE CLASS: MACHINE BASICS 101
July 22, 29, and August 5
Class Fee: $60 incl. patterns
Instructor: Linda Gentle
- This class will be addressing proper rotary cutting skills, color selection using a color wheel, the importance of scale, how to piece the quilt top and pressing during construction.
- Practice squaring up a quilt block and learn the technique to apply borders to create a uniform edge on a quilt.
- Different methods of quilting the quilt, a step-by step sample of the application of a mitered-corner binding and other methods of binding.
- Fabric colors-understanding Contrast and Value, fussy cutting, and dark vs light.
- At the end of the third day you should have a small sampler quilt top consisting of 13 various blocks that are either 6 1/2″ or 12 1/2″.
All class supplies purchased at My Sewing Barn
receive a 10% discount
Prep work prior to class:
1. Press fabric using sizing spray
* 50/2 weight Cotton Thread (“Silk Finish” is preferred”; Mettler or Aurifil or Superior brands will work)
* 6” x 24″ Cutting Ruler
* 6 1/2″ Square Ruler
* 12 1/2″ Square Ruler
* Ruler Finger Guard (demo and discussion)
* Ergonomic Rotary Cutter (the squeeze model) 45mm
* Self-Healing Cutting Mat medium or large
* Glass Head Pins or flat pins that are also iron-proof (won’t melt when using an iron)
* Sewing machine, power cord, foot control, book, and all accessories
* Schmetz brand size 80/12 Machine Needles
* Seam Ripper
* Seam Gauge
* Tape Measure
* Thread Snips
* Frixion pens or Blue Wash Away fabric marker or Clover Chalk-O-Liner
* Fat Quarters
* Yardage-this will be discussed in the first class and a field trip to My Sewing Barn Quilt Shop will be scheduled; if shopping at other stores remember to bring your Quilt Guild membership card in order to get a discount on items purchased at those stores (not all stores honor the cards by most do).
* Alex Anderson’s Book-Start Quilting with Alex Anderson (3rd Edition) as there will be reading material for this class